What’s the first thing you do when you’re hungry? You eat, right? But for seniors, it’s not always that easy. And it’s not just because they don’t feel like eating either. There are actually several reasons as to why they take a pass on having a meal.
Your senior loved one might be missing their meals because:
- They have a medical condition (such as Alzheimer’s or Dementia) which causes them to forget about meal time.
- They have a dental problem that gives them a hard time chewing or swallowing food.
- hey have a diminished sense of taste as a side effect from the medication they take.
- They have a certain preference for a food that they want to eat which is not met.
- They have a hard time eating on their own or cooking their own meals.
These are just among the many reasons why seniors skip their meals.
It’s dangerous to delay giving a solution to this problem.
If you let your senior loved one continue missing meals, it could negatively affect their health in many ways:
- It can trigger a fluctuation in their blood sugar levels
When your senior loved one’s blood sugar levels drop too low, they could feel nauseous, dizzy, weak or even unconscious. This might lead to a fall and leave them an injury.
- It can get in the way of their body’s natural digestive process
Starving for a long time can lead you to binge eat to satisfy your hunger. And when you eat down food fast, you don’t always chew it properly too. If your senior loved one is not careful, they could choke on a mouthful of food or suffer indigestion.
- It can complicate their mood
Being hungry can make most people feel agitated and irritable. The same thing can apply to your senior loved one too!
- It can impact their eating habits for the worse
Aside from binge eating, missing meals can also cause you to crave for unhealthy processed food. As a result, your senior loved one’s health will greatly suffer.
If you’re worried that your senior loved one is not eating properly at home, then you should definitely consider moving them to a reliable Elderly Care Home in Fresno, California, such as Attentive Senior Care.
By transferring your loved one to us, they will have constant supervision that will improve their overall health. Plus, your senior loved one will be able to enjoy 3 healthy meals and snacks conveniently too. On top of that, they will also get to take advantage of our Personal Services and delightful amenities!
Would you like to know more about how your loved one can benefit from Assisted Living in California? Then don’t hesitate to reach out to us today!